Custom Search

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

What Matters Most

Today one of The Motley Fool's writers, Tim Hanson, had an article published about "What [Warren] Buffett is Buying Next" where he cites a paper written by a student who had an opportunity to hear Warren Buffett speak. And, while Mr. Hanson's article was definitely interesting reading from an investment standpoint, I found the notes about this student's major takeways from listening to Mr. Buffett even more interesting. Statements like:

"Do what you love, not for the money, do it because it's in your heart."

"Being an inherent optimist is a key trait to success."

and, my favorite...

"Giving unconditional love is the best thing you can do. When you give it out you get it back 2x, you can’t get rid of it."

There are many more golden nuggets of wisdom listed as well. But, it made me smile that so much of what was written were "life lessons" versus simply investing advice. A common theme was surrounding yourself with people that you like to work with. This is one of the reasons that I decided to end my Consulting business and return to The Motley Fool full time; to be around people that I like to work with every day.

In terms of HR, I think that it's a great recruiting tool and maybe one that isn't utilized enough. Recently, I found out about Zappos' company blog which is a really fun read, and, I would imagine - a huge recruiting tool!

Does your company have a similar blog? Do you know of any other's like Zappos'?

No comments: